Easy work dinners: Broccoli Pasta
I am so proud of my four year old son when he answers the question 'what's your favourite food?' with "Broccoli Pasta!" When I was a child I wouldn't have eaten any green vegetable let alone a whole bowl of it. This recipe is really delicious. Even though it has anchovies in it this makes it salty rather than too fishy. I have to take my time eating it as I never want the bowl of food to end.
Broccoli (for 3 of us we use a whole head)
1 or 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 tin of anchovies
pasta (we prefer spaghetti)
pine nuts (I tend to use a couple of handfuls)
a small knob of butter
Parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cut the stalk off the broccoli right up to the florets. Chop it into small pieces.
- Put your pasta on to boil.
- In a large saucepan put your chopped broccoli stalk, garlic and tin of anchovies (including the oil from the tin, add extra olive oil if needed). Put on a medium heat and stir.
- Stir the broccoli mixture for a couple of minutes. Add a ladle of the pasta water to help cook the broccoli.
- Half way through the pasta cooking time, chop the broccoli florets up smaller and add them to the water to cook them. I use a steamer above the pasta water.
- Once the pasta and florets are cooked add them to the broccoli mixture. You can add some more of the pasta water to make a sauce.
- Add a knob of butter and stir in.
- Finally in a dry pan add the pine nuts and heat over a high heat until they turn brown. Sprinkle these over your pasta once it is served. Parmesan can also be served on top if you wish.
Honestly this recipe is so tasty. I found it from a Jamie Oliver cookbook and we make it at home at least every two weeks. Sometimes we add chopped onion, chicken or dried chilli flakes. Let me knowhow you get on.